Sunday, November 15, 2009

Another Excerpt...

I'm LOVING my characters right now!  Well here is another excerpt~


Chapter 2

The Beginning of a New Life

The LORD will keep you from all harm—
He will watch over your life;
The LORD will watch over you coming and going
Both now and forevermore.
Psalms 121:7-8


All of a sudden I feel free again, as if all the worries of the world washed away.  The breeze hitting my cheeks and the smell of fresh air clear my head.  I head for what looks like a cliff with thick brush growing in front of it but as I peel the brush away, and the wood planks, it opens up into a cave opening.  The opening is just big enough for an 18 hands high horse, rider, and wagon, I may add, to fit through.
The room smells of horses.  From the outside the cave, with the brush peeled back, the cave looks like a small, but not that small, nook.  But when you get inside you can see it is immense!
It is a maze of connecting caves with the one immense cave in the middle.  With 12 of the caves I made “stalls” with wood I found at the back of our property.  Each horse had his/her own stall.
I also made a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom with 3 of the other caves, and I did pretty darn good if I do say so myself.
My bedroom has light purple walls, I had bought some paint, and a light purple coverlet for the bed; I snuck my old bed here by saying it was too old and that I would just take my parents old bed. I had also transported, with the help of some friends, my desk that was great-great-great aunts.  I had my laptop, my air card, my horse books and DVD’s, and my Bible’s.  I also, last night, got all my pictures from my wall, my clothing, and everything else in my room.  The reason I could do this is because Atalya pulls a wagon / cart so I had loaded everything onto that and head for the cave.
The kitchen area has buttery yellow walls with red, orange, and bright yellow accents.  My dad used to do carpenter work as a hobby and I had found the cave before they died so he made me some cabinets and I bought a little wood burning grill / stove and a solar refrigerator.
The bathroom had the same paint as the kitchen and I had made a little hole to outside where the feces would wash out into a latrine.
The cave has a freshwater spring that is in the kitchen!  It also has an abundance of berry plants, a vegetable garden, herb garden, nut trees, alfalfa hay grass, orchard hay grass (I harvest the Alfalfa hay grass and the Orchard hat grass and put it into 5 of the chambers off of the main chamber.), and wild game nearby.  I was so lucky to be able to find this place!
I untack my horses and unhook Atalya from her cart once they are all in the main “cavern” and I have covered the opening back over with brush.
Then I go over to greet each of the horses and toss in some herbs and hay into the stalls with them.  I then proceed to; with a wheel barrow and pitchfork I had previously bought, clean out the stalls, also referred to as mucking.  When I was finished I go and unload the cart with the last of my possessions.
The cart contains pictures from the walls in my old room and my parents old room, the stuffed animals I have had since I was an infant, the blanket my great grandma made for me when I was born, my clothing, and everything else from my room.
After I unloaded the cart I put everything in its spot.  Now my puny brain finally realizes that I am living alone and in the middle of nowhere!  But I love adventure and have a courageous spirit, so I get over that quickly.
I go into my bedroom and settle down at my desk.  I pull up Microsoft Word on my laptop, pull up the internet, and email my friend, Gabriel Adael (But everyone calls him Gabe), the days happenings.


May 1st, 2010

I finished transporting my things.  The plan to live out here is now in progress!  The horses are in their stalls munching the hay I gathered last summer.  The hay I cut down a week ago is ready to be brought in.  That’s tomorrow’s job.  I’m so excited!  I can’t wait to start on tomorrow’s jobs!  I know that sounds weird, but its true!  On another track I HATE the state people who * were * watching me (And are still watching you).  They drank a lot and did drugs (As you very well know ;) ).  Their kids kept trying to pressure me into taking them.  I, of course, said no.  But they didn’t stop!  UGH!  But at least I’ll never be seeing them again.  I’ve got to go to bed now…  Toodles!

I turn off my laptop and go unplug it from the solar panels, which are just outside my room and I had put, with the help of my dad when he was still alive, a small hole big enough for my computer cord through the cave wall.  I pull back the covers on my bed, climb in, and blow out the candle.  I am left in the darkness with a sweet peace enveloping me.


1 comment:

Abigail said...

OH my goodness!
The story is GREAT!!! I love it! How many pages/words do you have so far? I have 5,072, but I'm about to start on my fifth chapter! Yay!!! tty ASAP!
~Abby~

A Good Poem...

When you run so fast to get somewhere
you miss half the fun of getting there
if you worry and hurry through your day
it's like an unopened gift
thrown away
Life is not a race
Do take is slower
hear the music
before the song is over."